What is an Emerging Artist?
For all of our grants to emerging artists (Jerome Ceramic Artist Project Grant, Jerome Ceramic Artist of Color Residency, Emerging Artist Residencies) we use a broad and elastic definition of “emerging.” The following is adapted from the Jerome Foundation:
There is no exact and singular definition of an emerging creative artist. Our emerging artist programs support those artists who show significant potential, yet are under-recognized.
- are the principal creators of new work
- take risks and embrace challenges
- develop voices revealing significant potential
- are rigorous in their approach to creation and production
- have some evidence of professional achievement but not a substantial record of accomplishment
- are not recognized as established artists by other artists, curators, producers, critics, and arts administrators
Career stage is a factor but not a limiting one. Many emerging artists fall in the early career category, but not all do. Age is not a factor in determining an emerging artist.
Wondering if you are an emerging artist? Contact Kyle Rudy-Kohlhepp at email@example.com for more information.