Winter 2015 Director's Report
According to the 2015 Farmers’ Almanac, winter temperatures, precipitation, and snowfall will all be below normal this winter. But we knew that, right?! A Minnesota winter is almost always winter with a capital “W”! Between the subzero temps and the icy walkway, the ridiculous commutes and the back-breaking shoveling, winter for us Midwesterners certainly takes its toll. While hot cocoa and hot toddies, woolen mittens and insulated boots exist in excess to help us through these winter months, Northern Clay Center’s programs can also be added to your list of “Things that will get me through the next Polar Vortex”.
From intergenerational classes for families, to lectures by visiting artists, to an endless stream of pots and sculpture in our galleries (and online)—NCC is sure to get you through the winter!
Our top picks for December – March activities include:
- Annual Holiday Exhibition, running in NCC’s galleries through January 4, 2015. Shop for everyone on your gift list; create the perfect weekend outing for your friends and family; or shop online at any time of day. Over 70 artists’ work is on view and for sale.
- Sign up for an “indoor sport” and get your clay on during a multi-week clay class: Altered Porcelain Forms, A Sample of Soda, Clay and Surface Techniques (and dozens of other exciting topics). We have a variety of classes for every interest, age, and ability.
- Emerging Artists exhibitions, Friday, January 16. Join us for a free conversation with participating artists at 4 pm in our library; stay for the opening reception from 6 – 8 pm or view the exhibition online (select work for sale)!
- 7th Annual Chili Cook-off, Thursday, February 5, 5 – 9 pm. A regional favorite (at least we think so!), this part-cook-off, part-chili-tasting, part-hands-on workshop, part-fellowship with the artists, is a must attend event for all competitive chefs and lovers of chili.
- Sexual Politics and the Minnesota Women Ceramic Artists juried tableware exhibitions, Friday, March 13. Mingle with the artists and see the work during the opening reception from 6 – 8 pm.
As you’ll see as you peruse our website, we have many more offerings that will pique your interest. We invite you to join us in celebrating another winter, be it virtually through website visits, as a student or gallery visitor, or as a member and supporter of our organization.